Tuesday, October 22, 2013

What keeps me Bee-sy...haha

When I learned we had to do a toy-hack for our make cycle 3, I really was not sure about what I was going to use for it.  At first I thought that using Legos orPlay-dough was a good idea, but soon I realized that that was not what I really wanted to do.  What I really wanted to do was make something on my own from something that I already had.  So, for some odd reason I was sitting in class last Wednesday when it hit me: I could use one of the small footballs I had to create something interesting!  So that was when my toy-hack was born; Bert the Bee was created.  I wasn't really sure how to make the soon-to-be Bert and I honestly thought it would be really complicated, but once I got my head around what to use I was set with a solid idea.

Using my crafty-crafting skills, I turned an old foam football into a lively buzzing bee.  When I was done, I just kind of sat back and thought, What was I really building for? Did I have a reason for making Bert? Well after some thought I realized something.  I made Bert to show people that it's alright to be different. Just because Bert had an extra-large stinger didn't mean that he was any less of a person, even though his fellow bees seemed to think so. The same applies to us, humans. We shouldn't be judging those who aren't perfect, and expect them to change because of our words towards them. Personally I've experienced a lot of this in my life, directed towards me mainly in my high school years, and It hurt to be told that you aren't "perfect" and that you need to change. All of this make was a great way to not only create something I wanted to, but also express myself through my work as a maker.  Other than that, I don't really have anything else to say, so until next time, see ya!

1 comment:

  1. People are very judgmental of others. Sometimes they don't mean to but they hurt the other peoples feelings. Everyone should be treated equally.

    ReplyDelete